Wikis allow anybody to edit. However, some people may be new to wikis and thus may not know how to edit. Don't panic! This page is for those people. To edit, you don't need to know HTML to edit an article, all you need to know is English and simple wiki code. You don't even have to register to edit! (But you should)
To edit a page, simply click the edit button, which is usually found at the top of the page. Clicking on this button will open the edit box. Once here, simply type in what you want! It's that easy!
When you're done typing, click on the save page button at the bottom of the page. However, before doing so, you may want to click on the show preview button to proofread what you typed, you can also include a summary of what you typed to help other editors get an idea of what you did to the article.
|Icon||Function||What it shows when editing||What it shows on the page|
|Bold or strong emphasis||'''Dead Frontier'''||Dead Frontier|
|Italic or emphasis||''Dead Frontier''||Dead Frontier|
|Internal link||[[Dead Frontier]]||Dead Frontier|
|Section heading||== abc ==||
|Mathematical formula||<math>abc</math>||$ abc $|
|Ignore wiki formatting||<nowiki>abc '''[[Bold text]]'''</nowiki>||abc '''[[Bold text]]'''|
|Sign talk comments (with time stamp)||--~~~~||Your username 00:12, 26 November 2009 (UTC)|
|Upload and insert an image online||Pops up the upload form|
|Upload and insert a video online||Pops up the form that allows you to add your video|
To add images, you must first upload it. Once you've done this, you can edit a page and add [[File:NAMEOFIMAGE.FILETYPE]] to the page. For example, doing [[File:Behemoth.png]] will produce this:
- Adding a pipe ( | ) allows you to control how an internal link appears. For example, doing [[Dead Frontier|Dead Frontier is cool]] will appear as this: Dead Frontier is cool. You can also use a pipe to hide anything before a colon or in parenthesis. This can be useful when linking to pages with disambiguation tags. To link to a page section, add a number sign and then the heading. For example, doing [[Professions#Service Professions]] will link directly to the equipment section for fishing: Professions#Service Professions. You can also use a pipe as shown above to clean up the link and make it appear simply as Service Professions.
- With external links, instead of using a pipe, use a space to control the look of external links. For instance, [http://deadfrontier.wikia.com/wiki/Dead_Frontier_Wiki The Dead Frontier Wiki] will appear on the page as this: The Dead Frontier Wiki.
- Adding more equal signs to headlines will make them smaller. Also, when a page has four or more headlines, it will automatically generate a Table of Contents at the top of the page.
- Use pipes to modify an image. Modifiers include thumb, frame, size in pixels (e.g. 200px), left, right, and center. You can also add a caption to describe the image by placing words after a pipe. For example, [[File:Example.jpg|200px|right|frame|This is an example]] will produce an image scaled to 200 pixels, on the right side of the page, framed with "This is an example" as a caption.
Categories help to organize pages. Simply add
[[Category:CATEGORYNAME]] (source mode) or use the "Add Category" button (Rich Text Editor) to add the article to the category.
If you see a page messed up, you can simply revert it to a correct previous version. To do this, you:
- Click on the history tab;
- Click on the date of the version you want;
- Click on the edit tab;
- Save the page. Don't forget to say that you're reverting the page in the summary box!